Thursday, August 29, 2013



Black RNC Speaker: ‘Evil Is Our Enemy Whether It Wears a White Face or Not’

Robert Woodson, founder and president of the Center for Neighborhood Enterprise, said if Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., were alive today, he would not just talk about justice for Trayvon Martin, he would also pray for other victims of violence who are not minorities.

“We should not wait for evil to wear a white face, before we get outraged. Evil is our enemy whether it wears a white face or not,” Woodson said Monday at the Republican National Committee luncheon to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.

“If Dr. King were alive today, he would not be just talking about justice for Trayvon Martin,” Woodson said, “but he would also give a prayer for the 18-year-old man, for this little baby that was shot in the face by two black kids, or by the World War II veteran, who was beaten to death for $50 or the Oklahoma player who was killed.”

Woodson referenced the case of an 18-year-old man in Georgia who is accused of murdering a 13-month-old baby by shooting the baby in the face during a robbery attempt.

De'Marquise Elkins is currently on trial for the fatally shooting 13-month-old Antonio Santiago while the baby was in his stroller in March.

Woodson was also referring to Christopher Lane, the Australian baseball player who was fatally shot while jogging in Oklahoma last week, and the brutal beating of 88-year-old World War II veteran Delbert Belton. Three teenagers – two of them black are suspected in Lane’s death, and two black teens have been arrested in Belton’s beating.

“We should pray for the families of these fallen people as we do Trayvon Martin,” said Woodson, who is often referred to as the “godfather of the movement to empower neighborhood-based organizations.”

Woodson has been a social activist since the 1960s, when as a young civil rights activist, he developed and coordinated national and local community development programs, according to his group’s website. He also directed the National Urban League’s Administration of Justice division in the 1970s, and later served as a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.

Woodson also challenged the black community to be honest about black politicians who he said are using “those who sacrificed” for “corrupt purposes.”

“We must be honest about those black politicians who are standing on the shoulders of those who sacrificed and then use that position for corrupt purposes. We need to call them out, because they are moral traitors. They are moral traitors, but we’re silent about that,” he said.

SOURCE





Black racism starts young

A shocking video has emerged which appears to show the racially motivated bullying of a three-year-old white girl by her five-year-old black neighbors.

Two clips uploaded to Facebook and entitled 'When white people pi** black people off', show a heartbreaking scene - a little Minneapolis girl trying to play with another group of girls who are encouraged to hit, push and verbally abuse the toddler at the encouragement of an older boy off camera.

Outraged viewers quickly seized upon the videos as evidence of racism and unleashed a torrent of threatening calls at the parents of the bullying children - who had no idea the incident had been filmed, let alone posted online and rushed to apologize to the equally clueless parents of the victim.

In the videos, which have been watched with horror by over 250,000 people, a little girl is seen sitting on a plastic bike as two older girls yell, 'you ugly' at her.

Identified as Mackenzie Peterson, the toddler, who is sitting on her small tricycle  is seemingly spat at by one of the girls, who has been indentified as being a neighbor and five-years-old.   Another girl grabs Mackenzie's hand and begins to hit her with it.

'Why you hitting yourself? Why you hitting yourself', the older boy filming, identified as the 12-year-old brother of the girls, asks.

Beginning to cry loudly, the bullies leave the toddler in the middle of the street in her tricycle and another clip shows the girl off her trike and still attempting to play as one of the girls says 'hit her hard and slap her head like this.'

In a wrenching scene, little Mackenzie attempts to share a toy with one of the older girls, but the older boy interrupts and tells her to 'throw it on the ground' - which she does, causing the girl to cry and run to pick it up.

But as the three-year-old bends down to pick the toy up the other girls rush over to hit her.

Initially, the video was traced to a Facebook page for someone named Ray Wright, but that page has now been taken down and since revealed to be a fake account set up by the 12-year-old boy.

While the video mentions the race of all the parties involved, at no point is any racial language used by the bullies towards the little girl.

However, the problems began when the video began to spread virally across the Internet, leading to the parents of both children being identified.

Shocked and angered people began to make threatening calls to the father of the 12-year-old and younger girls, who has been identified by the MailOnline as 'Eddie' to protect his identity.

Viewing the video for himself, Eddie walked across to his neighbor Shawn Peterson to explain and apologize for his children bullying his daughter, which he had no idea about.

'I wasn't happy with the video, obviously,' said Mackenzie's father, Shawn Peterson, to MyFoxTwinCities. 'I am disgusted with it.'

Explaining that the first he heard that hundreds of thousands of people had seen his daughter being bullied on the Internet was when Eddie told him, Shawn said that he trusted his neighbor to do the right thing.  'He's taking care of it. Trust me,' Shawn told FOX 9. 'He's a good father and everything like that, so I'm not worried about what he's doing over there.'

Refuting claims online from outraged viewers that his children were racially bullying Mackenzie Peterson, Eddie said that is not what his children are brought up to think.  'I honestly don't know where it comes from. We don't teach that in our household,' Eddie, the father of the girls involved, said. 'We're not racist, none of that.'

Eddie and Shawn said that their children usually play together and added that the incident had been blown out of all proportion.

'She's not that way. You can see she's -- they're -- clearly getting coached through the whole situation,' said Eddie about his five-year-old girl. 'When I saw it, I was disgusted with the video -- very disgusted.'

Eddie said that his 12-year-old son was being disciplined for his role in the affair, with his Internet and television privileges being taken away.

And while both fathers have said that the matter is in hand, police did confirm they stopped by to check on the situation, but left satisfied there was no larger issue.

SOURCE




Why is it suddenly taboo to say mother should stay at home with their babies?

My most vivid memory of my childhood is hovering outside our smart Kensington sitting room, which I was forbidden to enter, as my mother, a dressmaker, fitted garments to a series of rich clients.

‘Just a minute, darling,’ she’d say on the rare moments she popped out to get some more pins, in answer to any query of mine. ‘In a minute. We’ll see.’ And somehow my request would get forgotten, always second place to her work.

My mother always had scant interest in me as a child and I was brought up pretty much entirely by au pairs until I was eight, after which I was left to fend for myself.

True, my father was sometimes around, and what a wonderful father he was. But it wasn’t the same.  Father was working himself, teaching life-drawing at the Royal College of Art.

It was my mother I wanted. I was an only child and I wanted her to make my tea, to care for me, show an interest. Not always, just sometimes.

That’s not to say Mother was all bad. If she had been a slightly distracted older friend or relative, she would have been fine. But as a mum? I’m afraid she wasn’t much good.

By the early Sixties, her neglect of me had deepened. By now, Mother was really interested only in her career. Indeed, she had been made Professor of Fashion at the Royal College of Art, a post so unusual for a woman that it merited a front-page story in the Daily Express.

Then, when I was 13 and after a series of pretty serious rows between her and my father, she left home for good. Father and I had to fend for ourselves.

My childhood had been so dreadful, and I felt my mother’s neglect so deeply that, to be honest, it was a bit of a relief when she left. At least I knew she was gone for good — none of this halfway house, being there one moment, abandoning me the next, which made me feel so insecure, so unstable.

These are the memories I draw upon in my role as an agony aunt. And whenever I am asked about working mothers, I remember myself sitting outside that living room for hours on end, kicking my heels against the chair on which I sat, desperate for some attention from Mother.

I thought of that sad scene last week, when I received a letter from a young pregnant woman who had just been headhunted by a top firm. They wanted her to start work as soon as possible.

Should she hand the baby over to her husband as soon as it was born, she asked? He was happy to be a house husband. She was keen to do it, but her friends had advised her not to. What did I think?

As an agony aunt of more than 40 years, I’ve often had letters on these lines and my reply has been the same, as it was last week.

Don’t go back to work straight away. Give the baby a chance to bond with you, for just a few months of your time at the very least, to give it a firm footing in life. Of course, you should stay home. A child needs its mother — certainly for the first precious months.

But my answer was met with waves of abuse. I was accused of not being ‘a feminist’. I was ‘mad’. I was ‘a relic from another time’.  ‘It’s time to kick this agony aunt to the kerb,’ wrote one blogger. She declared that my advice was ‘kneejerk Fifties backwash’ which reeked of ‘vestiges of another time’.

People emailed me personally. ‘Your advice patronises and belittles the role of both parents,’ wrote one. ‘You show no knowledge or compassion for the role that a parent performs for a baby.’

Another damned me for writing a ‘biased, patronising, parent-hating piece’. The furore took off online, spread to Radio 4’s Today programme, where I attempted to defend myself, and has since been the subject of fierce debate.

It’s all been rather enlightening, to put it mildly. It’s shown me just how much the landscape has changed for working mothers today.

When I was young, mothers were made to feel guilty for going back to work at any time during their child’s formative years. But these days women are made to feel guilty if they don’t go back to work straight after having a baby.

One young mum who visited me recently with her nine-month-old said she was made to feel awful by her contemporaries for staying at home with the baby. People were always asking when she was going back to work.

But, as she pointed out, she’d found there was nothing as fulfilling and absorbing as looking after a baby. Although it was more demanding, it was far more interesting and fulfilling than her job, and beat working in an office hands down.

Indeed, the reasons I set out for encouraging the mother to stay with her baby for a year were simple and, I thought, reasonable.

This little mite would have been living inside its mum’s body for nine months and, like all babies, would be extremely bewildered and disturbed to leave the comfort of her cosy womb into a world outside.

Having your mum around closely for the first few months of life, rather than being left in the sole care of your father, effectively a complete stranger, is crucial. Lord knows I felt the full force of this myself, when my mother effectively abandoned me for her career.

The memory of the loss of my mother — for it was a loss, as profound as any grief — has shaped my own parental style, too. I simply refused to leave my son Will, who is now a father himself, and managed to sneak in hours as a freelance writer when he was asleep.

I didn’t want my baby to feel the neglect I did. But, more than this, I didn’t want to break the instinctive, intuitive connection with my child.

All devoted mothers will know what this feels like. Not long after my son was born, I remember having a party for a few friends at home. As he lay in a carrycot on the other side of the room, I had the all- powerful feeling that a piece of myself was lying over there.

I couldn’t bear to be separated from him for even a few minutes — that was my flesh and blood over there. It was the most extraordinary experience, and I couldn’t get enough of it.

But while my husband was totally besotted by our little chap from day one, there certainly was no such personality sea-change in him.

Obviously, there are times a mother must be separated from her child. And if a women tragically dies in labour, I’m sure any father would do a brilliant job of raising baby.

But if there was a choice, how many of us could argue against the intrinsic, biological bond between mother and child? Isn’t the kindest, most humane and positive approach to let baby be around you, Mummy, with your familiar smell, sound and touch?

Shouldn’t you gradually ease him or her into a brand new life until they are old enough to fully comprehend that dad is just as much ‘home’ as mum?

In my full advice to the pregnant woman who asked if she should go straight back to work, I said once the baby was old enough to feel just as secure with its father as with its mother, she could go back to the office — if she could bear to do so.

Indeed, most mums feel a real tug to stay with their children for longer than a year. Indeed, many can’t bear to give up the job of mothering until the child actually leaves home.

No wonder, then, that in a study of national happiness it was found stay-at-home mothers are more likely to think their lives are worthwhile than women who go to work. They tend not to suffer from boredom, frustration or feelings of worthlessness.

They certainly won’t ever feel that regret that some career women may well experience when they look back and realise that, however much they love their children when they’re older, they’ll never be able to re-capture those rapturous early months with their baby.

Despite the maelstrom of criticism I have received, my thoughts aren’t anti-women. I’m not anti-women working. I’m not anti-men, or anti-parent — or even anti-feminist.

I am one thing: entirely pro-child. After all, it is the helpless little child who is the one who is most often ignored when we begin to shout about women’s rights.  So despite the criticism, despite the brickbats of the past week, I still feel the same as I ever did.

When I hear of mothers going straight back to work after having a baby, I wonder, if they can’t bring themselves to look after their tiny, helpless baby in those precious early days, why on earth do they bother having children in the first place?

SOURCE





British badger cull activists target farmers with campaign of intimidation... and cause death of a cow after setting herd loose

Too bad if cattle get TB, apparently

Animal rights activists fighting the badger cull were yesterday accused of causing a cow’s death.  A farmer says extremists set his herd loose, leaving one animal to wander on to a busy road where it was knocked over by a van.

The incident, on a large cattle farm on the edge of the cull zone in Exmoor, west Somerset, is being investigated by police.

Protest groups are alleged to have carried out campaigns of intimidation as the badger cull began yesterday.

The locations where shooting has started have not been made public, but licences were given for two pilot culls in west Gloucestershire and west Somerset, with 5,000 badgers to be killed in six weeks.

Police have increased night patrols in the area, fearing violence between opponents and armed marksmen.

The National Farmers Union reported numerous ‘intimidatory’ actions against its members.  One 70-year-old widow, who lives near Minehead, Somerset, has received threatening phone calls late at night despite not running a farm since her husband died.

The farmer who lost a cow, who asked not to be named due to fear of attacks, said the culprits left anti-culling stickers on the open gate to let him ‘know their motives’.

Lists of farmers in culling areas, with addresses and phone numbers, have been posted online, as have details of a firm that leases 4x4 vehicles to the companies in charge of the cull.

Stop the Cull, a peaceful protest group, put the details on its website so activists could ask farmers not to allow culling on their land.

The tactics resemble those of Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty, whose campaign against scientists and companies at a Cambridgeshire research site was likened  to ‘terrorism’ by a judge who  jailed seven members in 2009. 

James Small, Somerset NFU chairman, said farmers across the county had experienced intimidation, whether or not they were taking part in the cull.  He said: ‘There have been late-night phone calls, people knocking on the door claiming to be from the Government and even sabotage on the farms.

‘One said his gate was left open and a cow was hit by a vehicle. He’s reported this to the police, but everyone is trying to keep a low profile and get on with the operation.’

Gloucestershire NFU chairman Charles Mann added that farm gates had been left open and some members had torches shone at their bedroom windows at night.

The cull is an attempt to tackle a huge rise in cases of bovine tuberculosis, causing more than 305,000 cattle deaths in the past decade.  Farmers say it is the only way to stop the disease, which is transmitted by infected badgers urinating on grass eaten by cows.

The trial will take place over four years and is predicted to cut bovine TB by 16 per cent. Defra and Natural England have concealed the identities of the two companies in charge, in case of reprisals.

Animal rights groups, which have gained support from guitarist Brian May and Dame Judi Dench, say badgers should be vaccinated.

Last week, the NFU was granted a High Court injunction banning protesters from approaching farmers’ homes, premises and cull sites.

While most protesters will carry out peaceful patrols of culling zones, some have said they will run near marksmen, forcing them to put down their weapons.

SOURCE

*************************

Political correctness is most pervasive in universities and colleges but I rarely report the  incidents concerned here as I have a separate blog for educational matters.

American "liberals" often deny being Leftists and say that they are very different from the Communist rulers of  other countries.  The only real difference, however, is how much power they have.  In America, their power is limited by democracy.  To see what they WOULD be like with more power, look at where they ARE already  very powerful: in America's educational system -- particularly in the universities and colleges.  They show there the same respect for free-speech and political diversity that Stalin did:  None.  So look to the colleges to see  what the whole country would be like if "liberals" had their way.  It would be a dictatorship.

For more postings from me, see TONGUE-TIED, GREENIE WATCH,   EDUCATION WATCH INTERNATIONAL, FOOD & HEALTH SKEPTIC, AUSTRALIAN POLITICSDISSECTING LEFTISM, IMMIGRATION WATCH INTERNATIONAL.   My Home Pages are here or   here or   here.  Email me (John Ray) here

***************************

No comments: